Michael Moss, author of Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us says, “Food technologists use $40,000 devices that simulate a chewing mouth to test and perfect chips. For example, people like a chip that snaps with about four pounds of pressure per square inch. They seek the perfect ‘break point’. Fat is a big part of the food technology stagecraft, too because it promotes crunch, creaminess and contrast, blends flavors and even lubricates mouthfuls so that people eat faster.”
What’s more is that…
These food technologists, “fabricate complex formulas that pique the taste buds enough to be alluring but don’t have a distinct, overriding single flavor that tells the brain to stop eating.”
Can you believe that? Yikes!
I wonder if you are consuming any of these highly addictive foods. (If so, now you understand how they are manufactured to keep you coming back for more. Don’t let the big food giants win!)
1. Soft drinks are often a mid-afternoon pick-me-up. (I know from personal experience!) But, constant exposure to caffeine makes your brain compensate by decreasing the number of receptors for its own natural stimulant, norepinephrine, which makes you constantly seek the stimulation from an outside source. It’s an endless cycle. Soft drinks are also loaded with sugar, which we all know is highly addictive. Just leave the soft drinks out of the house.
2. Cured meats (like ham, pastrami, salami, hot dogs, sausages) contain addictive sodium nitrite to lengthen the shelf life. It also imparts a pleasing taste and color. But, when cooked, the nitrites combine with other chemicals to form carcinogens. Also, as you know, meat is highly acidifying to the body and difficult to digest. If you’re going to eat cured meats/deli meat, get nitrate/nitrite-free and organic.
3. Microwave popcorn is something we mindlessly consume while watching a favorite TV show or movie. Have you ever opened a bag of unpopped microwave popcorn? Yuk!! (Do it and you’ll see what I mean.) Though it smells good when popped, the irresistible aroma is from the butter flavoring chemicals like diacetyl and pentanedione which are dissipated into the air by the heating process. And, there are questions about the safety of those chemicals. The fact is, it’s just not real food and has been manufactured with potentially health-harming chemicals. Instead of microwave popcorn, pop your own on the stove (in coconut oil) or in an air popper.
4. Fast food has a tight grip on lots of people. The overriding features of fast food are fat, sugar, and salt. Eek!! All of those are highly addictive. Eighty-three percent of people who eat outside of their home do so because of “cravings”. And, 75 percent who visit restaurants more than once a week do so for a specific dish they crave. Fast food is full of everything EXCEPT nutrition. Don’t let it be an everyday choice for you!
5. Finally, potato chips don’t even hide the fact that you “can’t eat just one”. That’s true because they’re manufactured to be highly addictive!! The salt keeps you coming back again and again, and they’ve been factory-produced with just the right chemicals, and break point, to have you diving into the bag again and again.
You don’t have to be a slave to addictive foods! You have the power to break the chains.
Focus on God-made food.
When you ADD IN more highly nourishing God food, your taste buds will begin to normalize, and you will begin to LOVE those baby carrots and green smoothies! (Trust me.)
Be conscious of the addictive foods you’re consuming that keep you coming back for more. Take inventory over the next week. I think this will be very eye-opening for you. And, join my September Eat Clean Challenge to start ADDING IN the good stuff!! It’s fun, inspirational, and educational. And, so much GOOD can happen in 10 short days! Details and registration HERE.