Do you ever feel like there is no end to your hunger?
Are you always thinking about food?
You're not alone!
I hear this quite often and wanted to give you a few things to think about if you find yourself constantly saying, "Why am I always hungry??"
1. You eat processed, packaged, fake food throughout the day which contains no real nutrition. It's full of empty calories, sugar, and absolutely nothing good. This leaves your body begging for more because it's looking for vitamins, minerals, and real nutrition. So, you always feel hungry. Instead of choosing fake junk food, choose real food! Eating a healthy carb, healthy fat, and healthy protein at each meal will stabilize your blood sugar and help you feel full and satiated.
2. You think you're hungry, but you're really thirsty. Most of us run around this planet in a totally dehydrated state. Yes, YOU! (Go drink some water!) When you are dehydrated, you may THINK you're hungry, but your body is really craving water. Your brain is getting the signals mixed up. So, anytime you feel hungry, drink a large glass of water FIRST. Step away from the kitchen and see if the water satisfies. Most likely it will! We need to get about 1/2 our body weight in ounces of water per day. Are you getting that much?
3. You don't get enough sleep. Did you know sleep is directly linked to hunger hormones? When you don't get enough sleep, the hormone that stimulates appetite rises. Eek! Also, when you don't sleep well, you are more stressed out during the day leading to poorer food choices and quick sugar-fixes. So, get some quality sleep starting tonight!
4. You turn to food (and think you're hungry) when really you're sad, lonely, bored, stressed, anxious, worried. Sound familiar? All too often we turn to food to pacify emotions. This can lead to an bottomless pit of Oreo's and potato chips. We must be conscious throughout the day about how we're feeling, and address any emotional issues at the ROOT, rather than trying to Band-aid the symptom with food. Make sense? Food is meant to fuel your physical body...not pacify your emotions.
5. You live on Fast Forward all day, every day, never giving your body time to feel satisfied and satiated. Yes, we live in a fast-paced society. Ever noticed? We are all running full-speed ahead and we rush through everything, even our meals. We eat and run, eat and run, eat and run. We never enjoy the beautiful food in front of us. We make food an afterthought and we are, thereby, never satisfied. So, I invite you to slow down. Chew your food. Enjoy the taste and texture. Give food a proper place in your life, at the right times, so it's not trying to take over your life at the wrong times. Get it?
6. You may have an underlying medical condition that's causing you to never feel full. Or, it could be a potential side effect of prescriptions. If you've tried everything and still feel hungry all the time, it may be time to visit the doctor and get some lab work done. Also, read the side effects of any medication you might be taking to see if that could be causing the issue. Ya just never know! Sometimes we have to play detective to figure it out.
Hope you find this helpful! The biggest thing to remember is to eat quality, whole food. Stick with what God put on this planet for us to enjoy, in its most whole, natural form, and you will have a much better chance at finally saying, "I am satisfied, satiated, and energized!"