In an analysis of 80 studies on dieters, researchers found that weight loss typically halts after 6 months, according to a report in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association. And that stall can last weeks, months, or even longer.
Odds are, if you've been trying to lose weight for some time, you've probably hit the dreaded weight loss plateau...or you will soon.
Let's talk about a few ways to get off that plateau.
1. You prioritize exercise over nutrition. Yes, physical activity IS imperative for health, but not at the expense of nutrition. Nutrition is the #1 most important thing when it comes to overall wellness. You can't work out 7 days a week and then think it's ok to eat fast food just because you've worked out. And, that's what people do. They justify eating poorly BECAUSE they've worked out. So, yes, absolutely get lots of PLAY (physical activity) in, but don't let that cancel your efforts in the nutrition department.
2. You don't sleep enough. You've heard me say it before, and I'll say it a thousand times more. You gotta sleep! The average person needs 7-8 hours of quality sleep consistently. If you don't get quality sleep, they've proven that it's harder to lose weight. When you're tired, you're easily agitated and stressed out. And, you don't make good decisions throughout the day. So, get your beauty sleep!
3. You are glued to your desk. Most of us sit at a desk for most of the day. Yikes. Sitting is bad for your health. It's true. So, be conscious about getting up and moving every hour. Walk around the building, walk around the block, do 100 jumping jacks. Just move! Make THIS an hourly habit.
4. You don't eat enough. A lot of times, someone goes on a "diet" and restricts calories so much that their body goes into "starvation mode" or "survival mode". That means it's not releasing any excess because it's afraid that it might not get any more. It's storing it up! So, you may need to increase your caloric intake for a few days to help your body know that more is coming and it can release excess.
5. You are stuck in a physical activity rut. Are you ALWAYS running on the treadmill, or ALWAYS using the Stairmaster, or ALWAYS taking the step class? If so, your body is ready for variety, and possibly increased intensity. It's time for some of your other muscles to feel the burn. Don't do the same exact thing all the time. Switch it up.
6. Restaurant sabotage. Portion control is imperative, and when we eat out, there is no portion control! Restaurants usually give you enough food for at least two, sometimes three, meals! So, before they even bring it to the table, ask them to bag 1/2 of it up to take home. Simple! Listen to your body and stop eating when you're satiated...not overly stuffed. Even the salads can be massive, and drenched in unhealthy dressing. So, ask for the dressing on the side.
I hope these little tips help to catapult you off the weight loss plateau! If you want to go deeper into total transformation, I would love to offer you a complimentary coaching session. Email me at email@example.com and we'll set it up.