This quick and easy version of potato kale soup has extra vegetables for more flavor and nutrition and takes little time to prepare.
Prep and Cook Time: Prep and cooking time: 40 minutes
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 medium carrot, diced into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
1 cup diced celery
2 red potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
3 cups kale, rinsed, stems removed and chopped very fine
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried sage
salt and pepper to taste
- Chop garlic and onions and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a medium soup pot.
- Healthy Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add broth, carrots, and celery and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Once it comes to a boil reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 more minutes.
- Add kale and rest of ingredients and cook another 5 minutes. If you want to simmer for a longer time for extra flavor and richness, you may need to add a little more broth.