Feeling grumpy, sad, Anxious and frequently irritated?!
You're not alone.
And, it could be the food you're eating. Have you ever thought about how the food you eat affects the mood you're in?
It sure does!!
Here are 6 delicious foods that will help keep your mood positive and happy! (And we ALL need a little more of that.)
1. One of my favorites...avocados! They are packed with tyrosine which helps the body produce dopamine. A spike of dopamine leads to increased feelings of motivation. They are loaded with vitamin E, folate, fiber, and healthy fat. An avocado a day keeps the blues away!
2. Lots of people love salmon, and it's a great mood enhancer! Salmon is loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids. Those fatty acids fight against feelings of depression and anxiety because it increases dopamine and serotonin in the body. Don't like fish? Try some walnuts, chia seeds, or flaxseeds for the Omega-3's. All good stuff!
3. Afraid of carbs? Don't be! Healthy carbohydrates are linked to the production of serotonin, a natural mood stabilizer. Add a side of brown rice or quinoa to your dinner plate and you'll have a happier night! (But, leave out the white flour, processed carbs, like bagels and bread.)
4. You know I couldn't talk about food and mood without talking about something green! Spinach! Not only is it packed with serotonin-boosting magnesium, it's also full of zinc and folic acid, both of which combat depression. (No wonder green smoothie drinkers are so full of positivity and happiness!)
5. Here's one you might not think about. Did you know bananas can help you overcome feelings of temporary depression due to their high levels of tryptophan? That tryptophan is then converted to serotonin (the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter). Trytophan is a known mood and sleep regulator (you've probably heard about it around Thanksgiving). Bananas are the world's first fast food! Grab one today and peel happy...I mean feel happy!
6. You didn't think I would leave chocolate out of the discussion did you?! Dark chocolate has been linked to reducing stress and lowering blood pressure. Find a dark chocolate with a high percentage of cacao and the least amount of added sugar. Usually a square will satisfy a sweet tooth. A great way to enjoy a little indulgence.
Eat God food! Enjoy what He put on this planet in its most whole, natural form, and get a wide variety of the good stuff! All of His foods (REAL food) have mood-enhancing, energy-boosting qualities. So, if you're stuck in a mood rut, consider the food you've been eating. Food packed with sugar, chemicals, and preservatives could be the culprit. Start adding in the good stuff (the God stuff) and watch your mood improve!