- Rinse and sort the beans.
- Place rinsed beans in pot and fill with fresh water, aim for 1 inch of water above the beans.
- Quick soak the beans—bring pot to a boil, turn off the heat and let the beans sit covered for an hour.
- Drain water from the quick soak.
- Cover with fresh water and bring the pot to a rolling boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Skim off any scum and broken beans that rise to the top.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer until they are done (about 45 minutes to an hour).
Use these freshly cooked beans just as you would use canned beans.