I created this Autumn Spice Green Smoothie to satisfy my taste for Fall! :) Really, this is Fall-in-a-Glass! And, it’s packed full of powerful spices that increase its health potency! Here’s the run-down:
Cinnamon helps to control blood sugar and is antibacterial. It can also help lower bad cholesterol. Clove is anti-inflammatory and aids in digestive health. And, clove is at the top of the ORAC score chart! (The higher the ORAC number, the more powerful the antioxidant properties. Antioxidants fight oxidative stress and free radicals, which helps to keep you healthy and happy.) Cinnamon and ginger are also high on the chart. Check it out here: http://modernsurvivalblog.com/health/high-orac-value-antioxidant-foods-top-100/
Speaking of ginger, it’s totally amazing, too. It has broad-spectrum antibacterial, antiviral, antioxidant, and antiparasitic properties. Cool, huh?! And, last but not least…nutmeg! It’s high in manganese which supports bone health and stabilizes blood sugar, among other things.
Never underestimate the power of spices!
(Oh, and the almond/peanut butter add some protein and the optional flaxseeds add some Omega-3′s!)
Here’s the recipe…
- 1.5 cups vanilla almond milk
- Large handful spinach (or your favorite mixed greens)
- 1 banana (frozen or ripe)
- 1 Tbsp natural almond or peanut butter (or sunbutter)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (1/4 teaspoon if you want it a little less spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (1/4 teaspoon if you want it a little less spicy)
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves (over-doing the cloves will not be fun for your mouth…FYI!)
- 1 drop ingestible ginger essential oil OR 1/2 inch ginger root
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed (optional)
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup (optional, for additional sweetness if necessary)
- 6-8 ice cubes
Blend and sip!
While this smoothie tastes phenomenal, it’s SO POWERFUL for your health!
(PS. You can adjust the spicy-ness of this smoothie to your liking! Remember, smoothie-making is an art…not a science. Adjust it to your taste and ENJOY!)